I have this undeniable affection with Paris. Just walking her streets like a daydreaming flâneur gives me so much energy. It’s hard to ignore the fabulous Parisiens and their immaculate love for la bonne vie. Endless cultural exploration, late night dinners and a perfect overload of shopping covers most the day for most visitors. After countless visits I stick to my favorite two Paris activities: drinking coffee and eating everything! I remember one of my visits to a little creperie near Saint Michel. A friend of mine said that they serve fantastic sweet and savory crepes and so I had to try. While browsing over 30 kinds of crepe toppings I heard a young American lady practising her French with the (slightly, and in my opinion rightfully annoyed) waitress. I couldn’t stop sniggering when the young lady ordered ‘Chocolate Crap’. When she realized how awful her accent must have sounded like she gently switched and repeatedly ordered (this time 2) portions of ‘Chocolate Grapes’. Gotta love her for trying though! 😉
With Easter Sunday right around the corner and the sweet memory of all my days spent in Paris, I decided to share a disturbingly delicious recipe with you today for Chocolate Crepes. Lightly based on a recipe by one of my favorite baking chefs in the world (Cupcake Jemma) I’m hoping everyone stops using ready-to-go pancake or crepe boxes and tries out this incredibly simple, yet fantastic tasting recipe. I’ve received some very cool disposable bio tableware recently (visit www.tableware.bio) and will use it for upcoming shoots as well. Considering the fact that Spring just started I’m pretty sure that you’ll need some nice tableware for those sunny weekend picnics!
Tryout the easy recipe for these delicious Chocolate Crepes and let me know how it turned out by commenting below!
- 1.5 cup plain flour (all purpose)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground chili pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups milk (whole)
- 6 tbsp melted (unsalted) butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Sift the dry ingredients in a large bowl or in your mixer
- Add the eggs, milk, vanilla and melted butter (let this cool down a bit!) and blend all together into a smooth mixture
- Add some (of the excess) butter to a frying pan on low-medium heat and add some of the mixture to the pan. Swirls the pan around for the mixture to spread evenly into a thin, round crepe
- Add whatever ingredients you like to your beautiful chocolate crepe. I like to add fresh bananas, strawberries, blueberries, powder sugar and syrup.